zaterdag 2 januari 2010

Nepal, Kathmandu

Finally arrived on the Indian subcontinent. Glad we have passed Tibet safely and not to expensively. The weather was great in Tibet, no snowstorm which could make our way trough very difficult. Actually, the road is very comfortable. This is a plus point for China, their roads are fantastic. I actually had expected something like Mongolia, but we passed it very smoothly with a Fort Sprinter, or something like that.

Now we are already in Kathmandu since 22 December, celebrated Christmas and New year's eve. Christmas was bit of a dumper because I was already hit by a stomach bug. After 14 years I had to vomit finally. Horrible, but once it was out, I felt much better. Although I was exhausted and three hours later we had to get up for a four ours drive to a river for two days rafting. Great fun, very cold, I felt very good in the boat, but once the adrenaline subsided I felt nauseous again. We had a very cosy evening around the campfire on the riverside. Our guide was a great guy, and together with his pupils we had fun. They sung beautiful Nepalese songs and Anette and Gerald sung funny Dutch songs. Belgium was very poor represented.

The second day rafting was also great, but once we arrived in Kathmandu a new or the old but better developed belly bug hit me. It struck me really hard. So severe cramps, I didn't know where to go. Saartje was already looking for the nearest and best hospital, but luckily I calmed down after 90 minutes, thanx to Saartje, who convinced me to take a pain killer. Farts came from both sides out off me. it was horrible. Saartje erased this evening out of her memory, because it was grose.

New years evening was great fun. We had great food and and danced on a roof top together with the Dutch couple and a English couple. Of course we were surrounded by crazy Nepali dancing boys. As they are not allowed to dance with Nepali girls, they dance together, pretty gaylike, but very funny. Or they bother 'western' girls, not so funny.

So now we have been searching for a proper organization for which we can volunteer. It was bit of a deception. Its just a huge mess in this country. There seems not to be a constructive an cooperative ngo community. Everyone does his own thing. Just like the whole country does. Corruption is everywhere and the puss is the never ending trash on the streets, in the nature and in the holy cows there stomach. The rest gets inhalated by the people who burn the trash.

The plan was to stay here for about seven months, from which six months volunteering. But our search for a cool project is a bit of a disappointment.
So for now we learn first three weeks Nepali language in Kathmandu after which we volunteer for one month in a school and little health post, we hope. There we travel a bit around in Nepal direction North of India.

In India I'll start 15 march with a 3 month course of Ayurveda in Bagsunag village.

Saartje has now a belly bug (vliegentschijt)but apart from diarrhea she feels ok.


Today I joined a Indian refugy from Rajastan to his home. He is a shoemaker, without a shoefixing box. He was being silly already five days. Finally I got my shoes polished by him, after which I felt very sorry for him. So I joined him today to his slum. He lives in a tent, constructed from bamboo and plastic bashes. He lives in a slum of about 800 Indian refugees. 'there is no water in Rajastan'. Finally I gave him the money to buy him a shoebox with all the tools so he looks professional, and not just a boy of 17 with a schoolbag. Now, he says, it will be easier to make money.
Probably silly of me, but what the hack, for me it is so easy. I can't help everyone, but this family will have some more food, including vegetables from now on, I hope.

So everyone, I wish you the very best for 2010, good luck, good health, great fun, much love and tranquility.

cheers